The Miami Grand Prix will start three hours earlier than originally scheduled due to concerns over heavy rainstorms expected later on Sunday, according to a statement from the FIA, Formula 1, and the Miami race promoter. The race was set to begin at 1600 local time but will now commence at 1300 to avoid weather disruptions.

Rain Forecast Prompts Timing Change

“Following discussions between FIA. F1 and the Miami promoter. The decision has been taken to move the start of Sunday’s Miami Grand Prix to 13:00 local time in Miami due to the weather forecast,” the statement said. “This decision has been taken to ensure the least amount of disruption to the race, and to ensure the maximum possible window to complete the Grand Prix in the best conditions and to prioritise the safety of drivers, fans, teams and staff.”

Mercedes and Red Bull Lead Qualifying

Mercedes’ Kimi Antonelli will start on pole position for Sunday’s Grand Prix, with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen completing the front row — the move to an earlier start time aims to ensure race completion under the most favorable conditions and to minimize disruptions caused by the weather.

Ferrari’s Struggles and Strategic Shifts

Ferrari has faced challenges in recent years, including scrutiny over alleged rule violations that were not formally addressed due to a lack of public investigation, while According to Infobae, Red Bull had raised concerns with the FIA, led by former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, about potential rule infractions in 2020. A statement was issued to teams via email, stating that “the team (Ferrari) and specific content had been agreed upon,” but no formal action was taken.

Compounding these issues, Ferrari struggled with performance from 2018 to 2020, finishing third in 2021 but still trailing behind Mercedes and Red Bull. The team finished sixth in the 2020 World Constructors’ Championship, its third-worst finish in history,equaling the 1973 season and worse than its 10th-place finish in 1980. In response, Ferrari shifted focus to the new 2022 regulations, which brought major aerodynamic changes and reduced engine power by 20 horsepower due to the switch to E10 fuel.

“We made the decision to focus on the new era and sacrifice two years of bad results,” said Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto. “We finished 2020 with one of the worst seasons in history, but we are now seeing improvements.”