Prince Harry, Elton John, and six other high-profile figures have been ordered to pay £9.54 million ($13 million) in legal costs to the publisher of the UK’s Daily Mail after losing a privacy case. The amount is an initial sum and could rise significantly, as the court did not cap potential costs — the ruling by Judge Matthew Nicklin said the claimants had pursued the case “outside the ordinary and reasonable conduct of civil proceedings.”
Background of the Legal Battle
The seven celebrities, including Harry, John, and actress Liz Hurley, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), the parent company of the Daily Mail, over alleged unlawful information gathering, including claims of phone tapping and unauthorized access to private documents. The case was dismissed in full last month after the judge found the claims were not sufficiently supported.
Harry, who testified during the trial, described the press as having “made my wife’s life hell,” according to a quote cited in German media — the case marked another chapter in Harry’s broader legal efforts against British tabloid media, which he has been pursuing since 2019. He has previously won settlements from other UK tabloid publishers, including the Daily Mirror and the Sun.
Initial Bill and Potential Costs
The initial £9.54 million must be paid by 4 p.m. on August 28. However, the court ruled that costs should be calculated on an indemnity basis, which allows the defendant to claim higher costs if the plaintiff failed to pursue the case reasonably. The publisher, Associated Newspapers, has estimated total legal costs at £34.5 million ($47 million), which the court described as “exceptionally high.”
Iain Wilson, a partner at Brett Wilson law firm, warned that the ruling could allow the Daily Mail to seek costs well above the £16 million insurance cap and the approved budget. “The consequences are significant,” he said in a statement to CNN.
According to Variety, the group had sued ANL over “unlawful information gathering.” The judge noted that the case had shifted from specific allegations to broader criticisms of the publisher’s conduct during the Leveson Inquiry, a 2011-2012 public inquiry into press ethics. The judge said this approach was inappropriate for such serious claims.
Implications and Context
The news comes as Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, prepare to return to the UK with their two children. ZDFheute reported that the legal loss could be an “inconvenient start” to their return to the UK, where Harry has long been critical of the tabloid press.
Harry, who left royal duties in 2020 and moved to California with Meghan, has previously won compensation from the Daily Mirror and the Sun, but this case against the Daily Mail ended in defeat. The ruling has been described as “not a blank check” for ANL, meaning further assessments by a specialist judge could reduce the total amount the group is required to pay.
According to German outlet WELT, the final costs could be much higher than the initial £9.54 million. The case highlights the ongoing tension between high-profile individuals and the UK media, with both sides often finding themselves in legal disputes over privacy and reporting ethics.
Comments
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts