Charges Stem from 1996 Plane Shootdown
Former Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in connection to his alleged role in the 1996 downing of two planes operated by the Miami-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue. The indictment, returned by a Florida grand jury in April, was unsealed Wednesday, Acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanche announced during a Miami press event.
The charges include conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, destruction of aircraft, and four separate counts of murder, Blanche revealed. The incident occurred in February 1996, when four Americans — Carlos Costa, Armando Alejandre Jr., Mario de la Peña, and Pablo Morales — were flying in civilian aircraft when Cuban military aircraft allegedly shot them down in international waters, killing all aboard.
Blanche emphasized that the victims were unarmed civilians conducting humanitarian missions for the rescue and protection of people fleeing the Florida Straits. He stated that Castro and five co-defendants are alleged to have participated in a conspiracy that led to the missile strikes on the planes, resulting in the deaths of the four Americans.
“Nations and their leaders cannot be permitted to target Americans. Kill them, and not face accountability,” Blanche said during the announcement.
Announcement Made by U.S. Officials in Miami
Joining Blanche in announcing the indictment were United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Jason A. Reding Quiñones, Deputy FBI Director Christopher Raia, and Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier. The indictment was released amid rising tensions in the Caribbean and amid a series of statements from former U.S. President Donald Trump and his surrogates hinting at potential government change in Cuba.
Uthmeier also suggested the possibility of leadership change in Cuba. “There can be no future for a free Cuba so long as the Castros and their criminal gang of thugs remain in power,” Uthmeier said, to loud applause from a Miami crowd. He concluded by saying, “We now have the leaders that will pursue that which is right and just,” before adding, “Get ready, there’s more to come. God bless America and God bless the free state of Florida.”
Several South Florida lawmakers praised the indictment, calling it a long-awaited step toward justice nearly three decades after the Brothers to the Rescue incident. Rep. Carlos Gimenez, R-Fla., stated that he, Rep. Maria Elvira Salazar, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, and Rep. Nicole Malliotakis had previously sent a Feb. 13 letter urging action in the case.
Gimenez accused former Cuban President Raul Castro of personally ordering the attack, saying Castro had “boasted” of giving the order to shoot down the planes during the 1996 incident over international waters.
Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Fla., described the Brothers to the Rescue pilots as humanitarians helping Cubans escape the communist government. “People were swimming across the Florida Strait, and the Brothers to the Rescue were going out on their own to help people get to our shores, to escape tyranny,” Donalds said.
Reactions from Cuban Exiles and Lawmakers
Rep. Maria Elvira Salazar called the indictment a historic moment for Cuban Americans in South Florida, confirming that “him and the four pilots” were charged. She contrasted the case with the Trump administration’s approach to Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, warning the Castro family to “look at Maduro.”
“There is a new sheriff in town, and that sheriff is Donald Trump,” Salazar said. “Cuba is the mothership of evil in the Western Hemisphere.”
Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., described the indictment as “a good day for America” and “a good day for Cuba” on the country’s Independence Day celebration. He said Castro “made the decision” that led to the deaths of “three Americans and one resident.” Scott added that the U.S. should not “take anything off the table” in supporting democratic change in Cuba and expressed hope that Castro would ultimately stand trial in the United States.
Cuban exile Oscar Fernandez, speaking with Fox News in Little Havana, became emotional while describing what the indictment meant to many in the Cuban American community. “It means some justice for the Cuban people for 67 years,” Fernandez said. He added that Cuban Americans were prepared to help rebuild the island if the communist government eventually fell. “We’re ready to go back and help in the reconstruction of our country,” Fernandez said. “We are not going to let this opportunity go by.”
President Donald Trump praised the indictment of Castro, saying Cuban Americans had waited decades for accountability. “We have big news on Cuba, as you know, with the indictment of Castro,” Trump said. He noted that Cuban Americans in South Florida and across the U.S. appreciated the move by the Justice Department after years of alleged abuses under Castro’s leadership.
Trump also suggested the Cuban government was weakening under continued economic pressure. “The place is falling apart,” Trump said of Cuba. “They’ve really lost control of Cuba.” When asked whether the U.S. planned further escalation against Cuba following the indictment, Trump replied, “There won’t be escalation. I don’t think there needs to be.”
Comments
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts