Justice Matthew Nicklin has ruled that Prince Harry and six others must pay an initial £13 million by Aug. 28 over a failed invasion of privacy case. The payment is at the upper end of expectations and marks a vindication for the journalists at the Daily Mail and a defeat for the losing claimants and their lawyers.

The claimants lost a High Court case in London last month during which they had alleged malpractice, such as the illegal hacking of phones, on the part of Associated Newspapers. The other high-profile figures behind the case were Doreen Lawrence, the anti-racism activist; Elton John’s film producer husband David Furnish; actors Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley; and politician Simon Hughes. Lawrence’s costs are expected to be covered by the others.

Context of the Claims and Legal Ruling

In excoriating comments accompanying his award, Nicklin said “several features” were important in his decision, including the “speculative” nature of the claims and the failure of the claimants to “voluntarily” withdraw serious allegations that could no longer be backed up. “The conduct was unreasonable to a high degree,” he said.

Claimants face additional 25-million-pound charge. The publisher has said it incurred more than 34 million pounds during the case. Should it pursue the claimants for the remainder of the costs, and get the necessary legal approval to do so, then Harry and the six others will be liable for a further 25 million pounds or so. The claimants took out insurance for around half of that total, in line with the budget estimates provided at the outset by the lawyers working for Associated Newspapers.

Legal Drama and Additional Developments

Prince Harry’s team has faced additional scrutiny in court — a private investigator, Gavin Burrows, claimed he received a legal threat from Harry’s legal researcher, Graham Johnson, a former journalist and convicted phone hacker. Burrows provided a recording of a voice message, though However, another legal researcher, Dan Waddell, claimed the voice on the recording was that of Burrows himself.

Antony White KC, for ANL, said there was “no dispute” that the evidence was important and asserted that it should be allowed to go ahead as planned. Burrows, who has refused to disclose his location, has been accused of holding the court “to ransom” by David Sherborne, who is representing Prince Harry, while Sherborne added that Mr Burrows’s safety fears were “utterly spurious.”

Broader Legal Context

Prince Harry has filed multiple lawsuits since 2019 against UK tabloid publishers, including Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), News Group Newspapers (NGN), and Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). In 2023, the court ruled in his favor in the MGN case and ordered payment of 146,000 pounds (about 230 million won) in damages; he later reached a settlement with MGN and withdrew the remaining claims. In 2022, NGN also acknowledged invading the privacy of Prince Harry, issued an apology, and paid a settlement to conclude the dispute.

Meghan Markle also faced scrutiny in court, admitting that her lawyer, Justin Rushbrook, had previously denied collaboration with authors of the book Finding Freedom, though a 23-page statement revealed new details of her involvement with the book’s authors. Her new recollections appeared after Mr Knauf released the emails to lawyers appealing her High Court privacy case with estranged father Thomas.