U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran that ‘time is of the essence’ and said ‘they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.’ The message was posted on his Truth Social platform and came as Trump spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday, according to the Times of Israel and Netanyahu’s office.
Stalemate in Negotiations
Iranian media reported that the U.S. had not made any concrete concessions in its response to Tehran’s latest proposals to end the conflict. The semi-official Mehr news agency said a lack of compromise from Washington would lead to an ‘impasse in the negotiations.’
Trump previously stated that the truce was on ‘massive life support’ after rejecting Tehran’s demands, which he labeled ‘totally unacceptable.’ In contrast, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei described their proposals as ‘responsible’ and ‘generous.’
According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, Tehran’s proposals included an immediate end to the war on all fronts, a reference to the continued Israeli attacks against Iran-supported Hezbollah in Lebanon, a halt to the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports, and guarantees of no further attacks on Iran. They also reportedly included a demand for compensation for war damage and an emphasis on Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
U.S. Conditions and Iranian Nuclear Program
Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported on Sunday that Washington had set five conditions in response to Tehran’s proposal. These reportedly included a demand that Iran keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the U.S.
Trump suggested on Friday that he would accept a 20-year suspension by Iran of its nuclear programme, a major sticking point between the two countries — in what appeared to be confirmation of a shift in position away from a demand for a total end to it. This marks a potential shift in U.S. policy, according to BBC and Informat.ro reports.
International Reactions and Ongoing Tensions
Although a ceasefire has been in place since April, both sides remain far from a final agreement. Pakistan has stepped in as a mediator. Trump’s latest remarks signal increasing frustration with the pace of progress.
Iranian media also highlighted that the U.S. response to Tehran’s peace proposals had been insufficient, with no ‘wesentliche Zugeständnisse,’ as reported by Informat.ro. The news outlet also noted that Trump’s warning came as the negotiations are ‘ins Stocken geraten.’
Trump’s firm tone highlights the urgency he sees in resolving the standoff, while Iran continues to insist on its terms for a lasting peace.
Comments
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts