Attack and Aftermath

The incident occurred on Friday afternoon at Brinellskolan, a high school in Fagersta. The suspect, an 18-year-old male, entered the building just days after the start of the school year and was subdued by police who fired shots during the incident. The principal of Brinellskolan told local media that the suspect was a student at the school.

Two boys, aged 12 and 17, were seriously wounded in the attack. One of them required emergency surgery. A third victim was treated for minor injuries and has since been released from the hospital, though the girl’s death was confirmed by her parents, according to the local newspaper Fagersta-Posten.

By Saturday morning, the school had become a site of mourning, with candles, flowers, and messages of condolence; Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson visited the site to pay their respects. Political campaigning for the upcoming September elections was paused nationwide.

Online Activity and Background

Police are investigating the suspect’s online activity, including a now-deleted TikTok account that posted an image of a sword 20 minutes before the attack, and the account had previously featured videos referencing past school attacks in Sweden and Norway, including the 2011 massacre by Anders Behring Breivik. The suspect is also said to have glorified mass murderers online and shared content from far-right groups, according to reports from Expressen and Dagens Nyheter.

A local police chief said the suspect was known to authorities and had previously attacked a classmate. He is also described as having a history of psychiatric issues. Swedish media reported that he filmed the attack and shared videos of it online. The suspect is in police custody, and the motive is still under investigation.

Broader Context and Reactions

The attack has shocked the tight-knit community of Fagersta, a town of about 12,000 residents. Swedish Radio noted that the school year had only recently resumed after summer break, adding to the emotional impact of the event. The incident follows a similar tragedy in February 2025, when 11 students were killed in a shooting in Örebro.

Police are also examining whether the attack was influenced by online communities that promote school violence. An unnamed police source told Reuters that investigators are exploring the suspect’s connections to such groups. The suspect is said to have focused on the 2015 racially motivated school attack in Trollhättan, according to reports from Die Welt.