Swedish police have confirmed the identity of the victim in a school sword attack as a 17-year-old girl, according to Al Jazeera, her family has been informed, police said on Saturday, though no further details were released. Local newspaper Fagersta-Posten reported that the girl’s parents confirmed the death; the attack occurred on Friday afternoon at the Brinell School in Fagersta, just days after the start of the new school year.
Attack Details and Injuries
The 18-year-old suspect, who was a former student at the school, was arrested at the scene — he entered the school on Friday and reportedly filmed the attack. Two boys, aged 12 and 17, were seriously injured in the attack, with one requiring emergency surgery, a third victim was treated for minor injuries and has since been released, according to police. The school’s principal told local media that the attacker was known to authorities and had previously glorified school massacres on social media.
Suspect’s Online Activity
Police are examining a TikTok account linked to the suspect, which was taken down hours after the attack. The account had posted an image of a sword 20 minutes before the attack and had previously featured videos referencing past school attacks in Sweden and Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, according to Al Jazeera. An unnamed police source told Reuters that investigators are looking into whether the suspect had ties to online communities that promote school violence, but the suspect is also said to have attacked a classmate years ago, according to reports in the magazine Stern.
Community Response and Political Impact
By Saturday morning, the school had become a site of mourning. A memorial of candles, flowers, and a steady stream of visitors,including Sweden’s Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson,was set up at the school. Political parties across the country paused campaigning ahead of the September election; the attack has added to national grief following a February 2025 school shooting in Örebro, where 11 students were killed and others injured. In the town of 12,000 residents, where “everyone knows everyone,” the tragedy has left deep shock and sorrow.
According to local police chief Tommy Alriksson, the suspect was shot by police and arrested immediately after the attack; his motive remains unclear, and authorities are continuing to investigate. The suspect is described as being known to authorities and is reported to suffer from a psychiatric illness, according to Swedish daily newspapers cited by Stern.
Sweden’s recent history of school violence includes the February 2025 Örebro shooting, but this is the first reported fatal sword attack in a school setting; the incident has sparked renewed discussions on school safety and the role of social media in promoting violent behavior among youth.
Comments
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts