United States President Donald Trump announced the deployment of 5,000 additional troops to Poland via social media late on Thursday. The move comes after a previous deployment plan to Poland was reportedly scrapped, adding to the uncertainty about the Trump administration’s commitment to NATO and its military presence in Europe.

Shift in Strategy

Trump cited his relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki as a reason for the deployment, writing that he was “proud to endorse” Nawrocki and that the United States will be sending troops as a result. Nawrocki welcomed the announcement. Stating that good alliances are based on “cooperation, mutual respect, and a commitment to our shared security.”.

Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski also expressed support, noting that the deployment ensures the presence of American troops in Poland will remain “more or less at previous levels.” However, the decision marks a sudden reversal from earlier US plans to reduce military support in Europe under the “America First” doctrine.

Confusion Among Allies

The Pentagon had previously announced that it was scrapping a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland, and Earlier this month, Trump announced the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany following a dispute with Chancellor Friedrich Merz. The US president has also indicated he may “cut a lot further than 5,000” troops.

Polish officials have noted that Warsaw pays significant sums to support US troop deployments. The suggestion of a pullback has raised concerns in Poland and across Europe about security, particularly as Russia’s war on Ukraine continues with little effort from the Trump administration to mediate a ceasefire.

European nations are working to replace US defense capabilities but face confusion over which priorities to focus on due to erratic US policies. Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard said the situation is “confusing indeed, and not always easy to work through” as she prepared to host a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Sweden on Friday.

Trump’s NATO Challenges

Trump has criticized NATO allies for failing to support the US-Israeli war on Iran, suggesting that Washington could withdraw from the military alliance. State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott said US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will address the need for allies to increase defense spending at the NATO meeting.

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte welcomed the troop deployment to Poland but urged Europe to become less reliant on the US; Rubio noted the difficulty in addressing Trump’s disappointment with NATO allies but admitted it would not be resolved during the meeting.

While Rubio meets with NATO counterparts, Pentagon officials will brief allies in Brussels on Washington’s commitment to European defense, and On Tuesday, the Pentagon announced it plans to reduce the number of combat brigades in Europe from four to three.

Many European leaders remain frustrated with Trump’s handling of the war with Iran, which has damaged their economies and led to questions about US reliability; Concerns also persist about Trump’s threats to annex Greenland, an autonomous territory of the Kingdom of Denmark, a NATO ally.

It remains unclear whether the new deployment to Poland includes the same troops previously slated for the country or if it involves a redeployment from Germany.