Bahrain’s Interior Ministry said legal proceedings are under way against the 41 individuals arrested over alleged connections to Iran’s Islamic Major Guard Corps (IRGC).
Arrests Follow Earlier Investigations
The statement did not specify the charges against the individuals but indicated the arrests are part of investigations into espionage and expressions of support for Iranian attacks during the conflict launched against Iran in late February by Israel and the United States.
Iran launched thousands of missiles and drones at its Gulf neighbors, including Bahrain, during the war, resulting in significant damage to U.S. military sites; In response, Bahrain has intensified its security operation on perceived pro-Iran support within its borders.
The country has warned that anyone who glorifies or expresses support for Iranian attacks could face prosecution.
Previous Enforcement actions and Controversy
Bahraini authorities had already carried out several rounds of arrests in March against individuals accused of spying for the IRGC, but In late April, the government stripped the citizenship of 69 people, accusing them of sympathizing with Iran and “colluding with foreign entities.”
The London-based Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy described the citizenship revocations as “dangerous” and a clear violation of international law.
Announcing the latest arrests, Bahrain’s Interior Ministry said it would continue investigations into the alleged IRGC-linked group and take legal action against anyone found to be involved in it.
Regional Enforcement actions and Ongoing Tensions
Other regional countries have also intensified investigations into alleged Iran-linked entities since the outbreak of conflict in the Middle East; On April 20, the UAE’s State Security Service announced it had uncovered an Iran-linked group in the country and arrested dozens of its members.
The UAE accused the group of “pledging allegiance to foreign entities and harming national unity and social peace.” The UAE was one of the countries that endured the most Iranian strikes during the war, although most were intercepted.
A fragile U.S.-Iran ceasefire agreed on April 8 remains in effect, despite several days of clashes in and around the Strait of Hormuz; the U.S. is awaiting a formal response from Iran on a proposal to end the war, though former U.S. President Donald Trump has said he is ready to attack Iran at “a higher level and intensity” if no deal is reached.
Comments
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts